Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup
Here’s a nice and simple lentil soup recipe.
Author: Contrary Cook
Recipe type: Soup
Yields: 12 Cups
Lentil Soup Ingredients:
- 2 cups dried lentils (I buy Bob’s Red Mill in bulk)
- 1 large yellow onion, Diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes (purée in blender)
- 1 – 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon of thyme (Simply Organic is my brand of choice)
- 1 teaspoon of tarragon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 or 2 pinches of kosher salt to taste (I use David’s Kosher)
- A few cranks of freshly ground pepper from the mill
And here’s how you make it:
- Soak the lentils in cold water for 2 hours beforehand. Drain in a colander and rinse well.
- Over medium heat, in a large soup pot, sauté the carrots with a teaspoon of olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and sauté for another 10 minutes, till the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic, thyme, paprika, and tarragon, and saute for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the fresh Puréed tomatoes, give it a stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Add the vegetable stock, can of diced tomatoes, lentils (rinse them first), bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes covered.
- Uncover and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Put 1/3 of soup in a blender and Purée, then add back to pot and combine….this makes it creamier, without the cream!