Vegan Vegetable, Barley, and Bean Stew
If you plan ahead and get the dried beans and barley soaking the day before, this vegetable, barley, and bean stew is a really easy, slow-cooking, crock-pot vegan delight. It’s packed full of protein, fiber, and low-glycemic carbohydrates. It’s delicious, and definitely worth the effort getting stuff ready the night before.
- 1 Cup Garbanzo Beans (dried)
- 1 Cup Kidney Beans (dried)
- 1 Cup Pearl Barley
- 1 Medium Fresh Carrot (cut and sliced 1/2 inch)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (cut into 1/2 cubes)
- 2 Celery Stalks (chopped)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1/2 Bag Frozen Green Beans
- 1/2 Bag Frozen Sweet Corn
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Ginger
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Chopped into 1/2″ pieces)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Teaspoon of: Basil, Thyme, Marjoram, and Paprika
- 1 Small Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
Prepare the Dried Beans and Barley
- Wash dried beans, making sure there are no stones or bad beans. Soak the beans together overnight.
- Rinse barley with hot water a few times, then soak overnight (don’t discard the water after soaking!).
- After soaking, cover beans with water and boil for 20 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Drain.
- Put chopped carrots, sweet potato, celery, pepper, to crock pot.
- Add spices and mix.
- Add barley and the water that it was soaking in to crock pot.
- Add the (formerly dried) beans and the can of crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add green beans and corn and stir.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or until all beans are tender.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!