I read ‘Skinny Bastard‘ while on vacation in Cape Cod this week. This book was written for guys by the chicks who brought you the New York Times Bestseller, ‘Skinny Bitch‘. It was absolutely freaking hilarious and very informative. I loved the book so much that I also picked up their vegan cookbook, ‘Skinny Bitch In the Kitchen’ (also a New York Times Bestseller, if I am not mistaken), and I read that cover-to-cover as well.
Anyway, here is an adaption of their ‘Bitchtastic Brownies’ recipe. I say ‘adaption’, because I wasn’t able to find some of the weird ingredients that they called for at my local supermarket (which is a major East coast grocery chain and pretty well stocked).
They tasted great. I may have jumped the gun and cut them a bit too early (before they were totally cooled) because they crumbled a little and didn’t hold their shape so well. Regardless, no one will be able to tell that these are ‘vegan’. Do your friends a favor and bring this treat to your next party. And explain what ‘vegan’ is *only* after they tell you how delicious and awesome they were.
BTW, I recommend the book, ‘Skinny Bastard‘ without reservation. It was a great read and for less than $6 it just might save your life.
Vegan Brownie Ingredients
- 5 Ounces Unsweetened Vegan Chocolate, Melted
- 1 1/4 Cup Organic Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Silken Tofu
- 6 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tablespoons Organic Vanilla Extract (Simply Organic is a good brand)
- 1/3 Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoons Kosher Salt (I like David’s Kosher)
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8×8 inch baking pan with the sunflower oil.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the microwave 2 minutes at a time on half power, stirring in between. It took me three (2 minute) rounds for me to melt it completely.
- In a food processor, add the melted chocolate, sugar, tofu, oil, and vanilla and process until smooth.
- Add in the wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder and salt and pulse until combined.
- Spread the brownie batter into the baking pan evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Cool on a baking rack for 1/2 hour.
- Top with chopped walnuts. I drizzled a bit of chocolate on top of mine as well.